- 328,823 hits
Simon on Eulogy for John Francis B… Simon on Eostre never existed???: why E… Simon on Eostre never existed???: why E… Chris Jensen Romer on Eostre never existed???: why E… Denn on Eostre never existed???: why E…
- atheism (25)
- Debunking myths (80)
- Dreadful attempts at humour (30)
- Fiction (7)
- Fun forthcoming events (19)
- Games (44)
- History (36)
- History religion and society (1)
- Paranormal (122)
- Religion (52)
- Reviews and Past Events (79)
- Science (80)
- Social commentary desecrated (81)
- Student Life in Cheltenham (6)
- Uncategorized (5)
- Unclassifiable! (14)
- Uninteresting to others whitterings about my life (154)
- Eostre never existed???: why Easter is NOT a Pagan Holiday
- Why Do Ghosts Go "Woo"? Part One.
- How I came to organise a Convention (and why you probably should too!).
- Boardgame Review: Ticket to Ride Europe
- Not Bronze Age Myths - let's end this misleading cliche
- Watching Most Haunted: Series 3, Ep. 1 East Kirkby Airfield
- Elliot O'Donnell 1872-1965: the first great ghosthunter?
- Playtest Review: HeroQuest 2 RPG.
- Debunking the Myth that Jesus Never Existed - the Historical Sources for Jesus, Part One
- Do try this at Home - the Mustard Seed Experiment
Tag Archives: Osiris and Jesus
Almost everyone “knows” Christmas derived from Mithraism, or Saturnalia, or Yule, or whatever. From this weak claim often follows the stronger claim Christianity is really just reinvented paganism. I strongly suspect it is a nonsense, and in this post I will explain why… It all started for me when Stephen Fry repeated on QI the old chestnut about Mithras being celebrated on December 25th, and his supposed similarities to Christ. This annoys me, and the fact that it keeps being promulgated shows a remarkable lack of critical thinking, or willingness to examine the evidence. I have briefly summarised here some of the problems with this, and provided links. Continue reading