- 328,506 hits
Simon on Eostre never existed???: why E… Simon on Eostre never existed???: why E… Chris Jensen Romer on Eostre never existed???: why E… Denn on Eostre never existed???: why E… Kate Jay-R on Eostre never existed???: why E…
- atheism (25)
- Debunking myths (80)
- Dreadful attempts at humour (30)
- Fiction (7)
- Fun forthcoming events (19)
- Games (44)
- History (36)
- History religion and society (1)
- Paranormal (122)
- Religion (52)
- Reviews and Past Events (79)
- Science (80)
- Social commentary desecrated (81)
- Student Life in Cheltenham (6)
- Uncategorized (2)
- Unclassifiable! (14)
- Uninteresting to others whitterings about my life (154)
- A Serious Warning to University of Gloucestershire Students: They Aren't Lying To You About Cars (Updated for 2015)
- Eostre never existed???: why Easter is NOT a Pagan Holiday
- Is this a ghost in Cheltenham's Playhouse Theatre?
- Studying the Paranormal: serious online courses in Parapsychology
- Elliot O'Donnell 1872-1965: the first great ghosthunter?
- How I came to organise a Convention (and why you probably should too!).
- Dunwich, Anno Domini 1988!
- Not Bronze Age Myths - let's end this misleading cliche
- Why Do Ghosts Go "Woo"? Part One.
- The Myth of the Pagan Christmas; or Why Stephen Fry was Wrong on Mythmas
Tag Archives: Grenme
Almost everyone “knows” Christmas derived from Mithraism, or Saturnalia, or Yule, or whatever. From this weak claim often follows the stronger claim Christianity is really just reinvented paganism. I strongly suspect it is a nonsense, and in this post I will explain why… It all started for me when Stephen Fry repeated on QI the old chestnut about Mithras being celebrated on December 25th, and his supposed similarities to Christ. This annoys me, and the fact that it keeps being promulgated shows a remarkable lack of critical thinking, or willingness to examine the evidence. I have briefly summarised here some of the problems with this, and provided links. Continue reading