Join 1,732 other subscribers
- 416,257 hits
Jacklyn on TV Review: Panthera Britannia… Chris Jensen Romer on The Letters of M.R. James spectralpenman on The Letters of M.R. James Jasmine on In Memoriam: Robert Moore, UFO… angelo on In Memoriam: Robert Moore, UFO…
- atheism (25)
- Debunking myths (84)
- Dreadful attempts at humour (30)
- Fiction (8)
- Fun forthcoming events (21)
- Games (49)
- History (37)
- History religion and society (4)
- Paranormal (132)
- Religion (53)
- Reviews and Past Events (89)
- Science (84)
- Social commentary desecrated (88)
- Student Life in Cheltenham (8)
- Uncategorized (15)
- Unclassifiable! (14)
- Uninteresting to others whitterings about my life (172)
- Cheltonia : curiosities of Cheltenham.
- Crafting Gentleness
- Games from Folktales
- GSUK – my ghost forum
- Gurdur's Blog
- Meditative Dishwashing
- Oasis Stories – modern fiction and myth
- Public Parapsychology
- Richard Wiseman
- Roy Stenman's Paranormal Review
- Skeptiko Podcast
- The Amazing Meeting London
- The Beaker Folk of Husborne Crawley
- The BS Historian
- The Dispersal of Darwin
- The Rather Friendly Sceptic
- The Tytalan Way
- Indie RPG Review: Polaris -- Chivalric Tragedy at the Utmost North
- A Serious Warning to University of Gloucestershire Students: They Aren't Lying To You About Cars (Updated for 2023)
- Not Bronze Age Myths - let's end this misleading cliche
- The Vanishing House - a real ghost story...
- A foxy ghost?
- UKGamesExpo 2013
- Absent Friends?
- Boardgame Review: Final Girl
- In Memoriam: Robert Moore, UFOlogist - 1967 - 2023.
- CJ Events at Games Expo 2023, Birmingham NEC. June 2nd to 4th.
Category Archives: Fiction
The Letters of M.R. James
There has been a bit of a kerfuffle this week in the Jamesian community after a savage TLS review by A.S.G.Edwards of Casting the Runes: The Letters of M.R.James by Jane Mainley-Piddock utterly trashed it. My problem with the book … Continue reading
Fiction: 1982 – A Christmas Ghost Story
OK, so it’s 1982. Thursday evening, the day before Christmas Eve, and I’m walking home in crisp white snow, humming “Hymn” by Ultravox. I stop to look at some mysterious footprints, surely those of a giant panther or wolf in the crisp frozen snow? and then turn away as three older kids on BMX’s wobble unsteadily by. I want a BMX – but no way will I get one, not this Christmas. (Or the electronic Tron home arcade game I’d seen on TV). Nope, I’m due to get a “sensible bike”, but that will do me I guess. I was walking back from the Scout’s carol service, and no one had asked me to sing, but then at 12 your voice can go any time. Some of my mates, like Paul, well he already has a voice like Darth Vader. My voice, it’s more Minnie Mouse. Continue reading
Fiction: Ethel — A Christmas Ghost Story
I wrote a little Christmas ghost story, which may amuse some of my friends. It’s a story I have been trying to write on and off since the Most Haunted days, when it came to me one Christmas Eve in a dream. It’s a little unfair, because to really understand it relies on you getting the joke, and spotting the references — which I suspect very few of you are likely to know. Still if you do it may amuse, and even if not I hope it is mildly spooky. This is in lieu of a Christmas card or Christmas message, and yes I know it’s not very good, but some stories just demand to be written… Continue reading
Buy my new book and release your inner psychic powers! Out today!
“CJ Romer is undoubtedly among one of the great mystics of our age, and a 7=6 Ineptus Exemptus of the Order of the Silver Twilight. In this book he finally reveals the results of years of occult study at Durenmar, his mastery of the obscure tomes of Bonisagus, and his esoteric heroquest with his friend DC to find the legendary lost treasure of the Cathars. Learn how with a German Secret Master named Axel he rediscovered the lost secret of Remote Homeopathy, and the terrible inner secrets of Romerian Witchcraft. A practical Self-Initiation Guide, this book can make you EVERY BIT AS PSYCHIC AS CJ, GUARANTEED!!!!” Continue reading
The Festival Revisited (A Lovecraftian Pastiche)
What follows is a very rough first draft of a short story, hacked out in three hours when I got in tonight. It’s not really a Cthulhu Mythos story – in fact it is not – but it is I … Continue reading →